Thursday, August 14, 2008

Rain, Solid Food, Kindergarten

Like most children of the desert, I love rain. Last Monday we had a beautiful rainy day. Dan and the kids had fun getting wet, and that was basically our family home evening.














I've been making a couple of small efforts to get Jasper interested in solid food, but he hasn't yet caught the vision. As far as the sweet potatoes went, he did at least go from a look of utter horror and disgust to sort of nonchalance. He's also getting better at sitting, though he still topples.




















A long time ago I got tagged, so I'm finally answering that. I got the answers for this from Bennett, who is now officially in kindergarten! Here he is standing in front of his classroom.
1. Q: What does Mom always say to you?
A: Don't get into stuff.
(I had hoped for "I love you" or something, but there you go.)
2. Q: What makes Mom happy?
A: When I give her hugs.
3. Q: What makes Mom sad?
A: When I get into things that I shouldn't.
4. Q: How does Mom make you laugh?
A: When she does this. (He wiggled his fingers, stuck out his tongue, and said, "Blublubluh"---I wasn't aware that I did much of that, but I suppose I should because, apparently, it makes Bennett laugh.)
5. Q: How old is Mom?
A: I don't know. Give me a clue.
6. Q: How tall is Mom?
A: Seventy-six. (Feet, inches, or centimeters---he's off.)
7. Q: What does Mom like to do?
A: Have fun with me.
8. Q: What is Mom's job?
A: To take care of me.
9. Q: What is Mom's favorite food?
A: Broccoli. (You can guess that I've tried to get him to eat broccoli on occasion.)
10. Q: How do you know Mom loves you?
A: She gives me cereal straws. (This is why you only let your kids watch PBS---no commercials. He saw a commercial for cereal straws, and now he's obsessed with them.)
I'm gonna do kind of a cop-out and just tag anyone who wants to do this.
Okay, another Bennettism:
"Mommy, Daddy has a step-mom, but she's not evil, so he's not a princess."
And here are a couple of things he learned at school today:
"Mommy, we all have buckets full of good feelings, but we can't see them because they're invisible, and when someone's mean, it makes you spill your good feelings."
"If you get four checks by your name, you have to go to the principal." Thankfully, he hasn't yet had the experience for himself.

And here's a Laraine-ism:
Dan was throwing Laraine in the air. He told her, "One more time."
She answered, "Okay, one more time first. Then I say, 'More!'"

You know I have to do it---today's review is Breaking Dawn. Just so it's clear what kind of a review this will be, I should say that Stephenie Meyer deserves every penny I've spent on her mediocre literature, because I haven't had so much fun ripping on something since Star Wars Episode One:The Phantom Menace. That being said, if you love these Twilight books with your whole soul and will take personal offense at a negative review, don't read mine. I know some mindless escapist reading can be fun, and I can't claim to have found no enjoyment in reading Breaking Dawn.

11 comments:

Perry Family said...

I love Bennett's answers...he's quite the clever one!! And Laraine is just so sweet! I'm in awe of how much Jasper has grown!!
Stephenie Meyer is one rich lady...good series equals lots of green stuff! I enjoyed the Twilight series probably because I am not a very good critic of literature!!
Ang, I think you have a nack (sp?) for writing...have you ever thought of putting together a piece? I wish I could write...but its just not there!

Carmell said...

I love the -isms! So cute! I can't believe how much Jasper has changed - his big smile is adorable!

Christene said...

As usual, I love hearing what you have to say. Bennet is always coming up with good comments. I love the "give me a clue" thought. Very nice. I'm diving into your thoughts on the book. I'll brace myself!!

Elizabeth Dover said...

Hurray! I love the rain! Warm rainy days are so fun in the summer! Hmm I haven't been that excited about the Twilight series either but I am currently reading The Host and I have enjoyed that so much more. I wonder if you might read it and post it as a review.

Debra Christiansen Jacobson said...

I bought you those sheets Mr. Jasper is sitting on! lol
I miss you guys and I hate knowing that you're not here... even though we didn't spend nearly as much time together as we should have. I drove past your old apartment the other day and I got all sad thinking about when you and Dan first moved to Vegas and we lived right around the corner from each other and we did so much stuff together. Then I started thinking about when you'd come home from college and we'd stay up all night playing bored games... and poor Brian would fall asleep and I'd draw all over him. I guess what I'm trying to say is I MISS YOU! I might be in S.G. on Monday/Tuesday because my niece in law is having a baby... so I may just appear on your door step!

Stefani B. said...

Congratulations Bennett! Michael misses you. He talks about you all the time. He likes to look at the blog to see if there are any new pictures of you.

Unknown said...

I'm off to read your review...though I know we are of the same mind. There is nothing like investing in several thousand pages of literature only to be utterly dissappointed at the end. I love that.

That picture of Dan and Erin running with the kids really made me miss Erin. I gotta go see that girl.

The Fleming Family said...

I liked Bennett's answers! Is it hard to have your oldest go to school? I am dreading that...and looking forward to it at the same time. We miss you guys. I hope you are doing well.
-Danielle

Stefani B. said...

"(This is why you only let your kids watch PBS---no commercials. He saw a commercial for cereal straws, and now he's obsessed with them.)"

Tell me about it! Michael asked for Sketchers. Come on....he's only in first grade!

Clinton said...

Cute, cute kids! I love catching up with you and Dan and your kids. I'm going to send Rach a link to your blog so she can catch up with you also! BTW, I love the refrence to AP European class. Who knew that there was love brewing in the wake of Weggies lectures?

Debra Christiansen Jacobson said...

Today I thought, "I should call Dan and Ang about dinner soon." Then I remembered, you've abandoned me. *sobs* Can't wait until I can sit and chat with you, Dan, Jennie, and Jonathan again! Of course, it's mainly you I wish to see! :)