Wednesday, March 18, 2009

DAngie: A Comedy of Errors (and a Leprechaun Story Too)

Dan and I went to Made in Brazil, one of those they-bring-you-lots-of-different-meats/buffet type restaurants. We were having a lovely time. The food was quite delicious, and we'd both nearly stuffed ourselves, so we wandered over to this little table next to the long buffet table with a selection of desserts on it, figuring we'd enjoy dessert and be on our way. I picked a blintz kinda thing and Dan picked flan. We took our desserts back to our table and sat down to dig in, or at least to try to dig in. I found myself needing a steak knife to cut my blintz and thought, "This doesn't seem right." I asked Dan, "How's your flan?" He responded that his flan was chewier than his past experience with flan would have led him to expect. At this point, I realized we had foolishly erred in thinking that this place included dessert for the 18 smackers and that we had taken floor model desserts. We sheepishly called our waitress over to apologize for being imbeciles and ruining the models. She said, "It's okay, but they're a lot better when they're fresh. They are an extra charge, but would you like fresh ones?" At this point, we'd have felt even more idiotic refusing, so we said yes, we'd like new ones and sorry again about destroying the models. But here's the upshot of this somewhat embarrassing narrative: when our waitress brought us the new desserts, she informed us that they were on the house because she felt bad that we'd been confused. So, here's just another bit of evidence that being a moron pays off. Dan and I got four desserts for the price of none (though the second set was much better). My advice to you when dining at Made in Brazil: try to eat the floor model desserts.

Pictures of kids:
Above is the illustration to Bennett's leprechaun story, which follows:
"'Twas the night before St. Patrick's Day, and not a creature was stirring, except for me and Laraine setting booby traps for leprechauns so that we could get their gold. When we woke up we had a big surprise. We found a leprechaun trapped, so we shook him like crazy saying, 'Where's your gold? Tell us no lies.' He said, 'It's at the end of the rainbow outside.' So we went out and got his gold." After I transcribed the story, Bennett wrote a 15 on the bottom of my transcription. I asked him why and was informed that it's rated PG-15, which seems somewhat excessive to me, but I guess there's that violent leprechaun shaking in there. I should also mention that the morning this story was composed I did indeed wake up to find that Bennett and Laraine had set up booby traps all over the house in hopes of catching leprechauns. The traps consisted mainly of boxes propped up by blocks. Clearly, had any leprechauns had the misfortune to enter our home that day, it would have been to their peril.

They're jammin' to some Buddy Holly. My kids have good taste.

The review today: Taken (movie, not past participle)

13 comments:

Stefani B. said...

Wow, the restaurant thing totally sounds like something that would happen to me. I'm glad it didn't though. I'll think twice before eating desert from a "buffet." Tell Bennett his story rocks!

Perry Family said...

Hey...four desserts for free! AWESOME! I can't believe how big the kids are getting. Bennett is such smartie pants, and SO creative. I love his picture!

Jamie said...

Hee hee! I've been there a couple of times and really thought they should make that clearer. They don't tell you that dessert's not included but they leave the cart right by the buffet. Confusing, in my opinion, but I'm glad you got free dessert!!

Carmell said...

That is so funny! I just wish I could have heard you tell your dining experience in person...miss you guys!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how much joy I just got from reading that!

Christene said...

I'd never considered that method of getting free dessert. Sounds perfectly logical, and obviously effective. The kids are adorable and I just LOVE kid stories and illustrations. They are so creative and without inhibition, as we adults can be.

Brian Hansen said...

Angie, this story is the funniest thing I have heard in months (brought tears to my eyes). Having lived in Brazil, I saw the end of your story coming as soon as you mentioned the dessert cart. You're lucky you got it for free, because dessert in those places is usually really expensive! They were probably afraid you would sue when you had to have the plastic food pumped out of your stomachs. Best part is I can just see the expression on Dan's face when he said, "My flan is kind of chewy ..." Oh, what I'd give for a video of it all! :-)

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness...chewy flan. That is beyond funny! The sad part is how easy it was to picture me doing the same thing. (that really can be confusing.)
Bennett's little story is precious. I liked the shaking leprechan part. If by chance it gets made into a made-for-tv movie, suggest to Bennett that his dad would make a good Bennett. I don't know, I'm just seeing Dan in that role. "TELL US NO LIES!"

Elizabeth Dover said...

I just love reading when you make a new post. Your blogs are always so much fun! Is Made in Brazil in St George? That is such a great story about the desserts, sounds like something I would have done too but I don't know if I would have had the luck of getting it for free :O Hee hee hee. I went to some place like that a long time ago in Salt Lake called the Rodizio Grill, I think. It was pretty yummy. But they make you get up and dance with a Waiter if it is your birthday! I guess that's ok though, I like being a goof at times. I love Children's dictated stories thanks for sharing his. I can't wait till we can hang out again and I will get to know Jasper a bit better too then. I wish I could go to Laurie's shower. Let me know how it goes!

Stefani B. said...

hey, check this out http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?whse=bc&topnav=&prodid=11225241&ec=BC-EC15089-ProdID11201007&pos=0F&lang=en-US

Rachel Doyle said...

I just love your posts - they make me smile.

Laurie said...

What would we do without you guys to entertain us with you exploits? Man, you guys are fun!