Monday, October 26, 2009

Poe Party 2009, I think, was a success. I had a good time anyway. Thanks to all who attended. I didn't think to take pictures during the party, but aren't these the coolest stamps ever? I gleefully stuck them on the invites. I found them last year right after Poe Party 2008 and had been chomping at the bit to use them. It was fulfilling, despite the fact that the price of stamps rose, and I had to add 2 cent stamps.
And this was the door prize. I'm ridiculously proud of it, because I'm nerdy that way.
The kids also got to have a Halloween party this year.


We finally went to Disneyland a few weeks ago, despite Dan's moral opposition to the "Mecca to Consumerism." I think he even managed to enjoy himself. Thank goodness Therese came along though. I think without Grandma being there, it would have been a lot more stressful and a lot less fun. Since we were embracing the consumerism, we went ahead and paid for dinner at Goofy's Kitchen. Jasper didn't love Minnie . . . or Goofy . . . or Pluto, and he really, really didn't care for Stitch.
Laraine loved them all, but she was most fond of Snow White.
And here we are, in front of the temple to materialism.
Really? He's not rightwise born king of all England. And I was sure Moore was just the current spelling of Pendragon.
I'm glad they take after me where teacups are concerned. No nausea. Just happiness.
All in all, a good time was had by all, despite a meltdown over a Buzz Lightyear gun and some negative feelings toward the "invisible snowman." Maybe taking Laraine on the Matterhorn wasn't the best choice. Maybe we should have just purchased the gun in the first place.
The next day we hit the beach with Brian, Karene, Cole and Weston. It was grand. The kids loved it. Dan loved it. Therese loved it. Though I learned I'm totally incompetent with a boogie board, even I loved it. And it was free, which is good because we'd spent all our money at Disneyland.
The day after the beach, we went to an aquarium. It was free too.
And I'm just throwing this picture, taken by Bennett, on the end here because I think he really captured a certain Dan-ness.
On the review blog: Jasper's Mullet and Julie and Julia

7 comments:

Stefani B. said...

It's about time! (that's for the blog update, and the Disneyland trip). I hope you and Dan didn't squash the magic that is Disneyland for your kids. You guys are weird. And you suck. Anyway, It's funny, I would have been a nervous wreck at the beach. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I would squash the magic that is the beach for my kids. I suck too. I like the picture of Dan. It totally captures him perfectly. Way to go Bennett. Also, Sorry I missed the Poe Party. Maybe we should start coming down in October instead of for Easter. I would probably just get in your way though. hm....we'll have to make it down for at least one Poe Party sometime though. Those Poe stamps are gems. I hope you stocked up!

Shelly said...

The Poe party was wonderful. I'm glad you are ridiculously proud of the door prize. Frank tried to commandeer it, but I wouldn't let him. I found myself ponder whether or not they make other author action figures, or if only Poe is cool enough.

Megan said...

you should be proud of your door prizes. They were awesome. Mine is proudly standing next to my haunted castle decoration, where one of the children lovingly placed him.

I think people have about as much fun at Disneyland as they set out to...so I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. We have always loved it...but we don't go in determined to hate it.

Definitely Dan captured in that last pic!

Jamie said...

Urgggg. So wish I could've gone. I hope trying to keep H1N1 out of your house was a good decision.

Christene said...

Yeah for the Poe Party! Sorry we missed the fun this year. I love your door prize and stamps. I love how you really enjoy Halloween and especially Poe. It's fun to experience with you. Disneyland sounded like fun! The beach and Aquarium sounded even better. Love those free things. And you're right, Bennett did well with that pic! Hope you're having a wonderful Halloween!

Unknown said...

I LOVE DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry. It just brings out the 6 year old in me. I can't help it. You're right, it is rediculously expensive and rediculous, (did I use rediculous twice? Because I meant to.) but you only live once. Right?:) And I don't mind spending the money on the giant corporate conglomorate, as long as they KEEP HAVING DISNEYLAND!

ps I don't know how to spell conglomorate. Or possibly corporate. And I assume no responsibility for any and all other misspelled or misused words in the posting of this comment. So they're.

Also, I loved Poe 2009 but you already know that.

Laurie said...

:( I hope I can make it next year. You sure do throw a good party.