Saturday, May 24, 2008

Stranded

I've been kind of stranded in St. George this week because our van broke down (I'm glad it got us to St. George---I find the whole "stranded in the desert" thing entirely unappealing). Anyway, I hung around St. George with the kids waiting for word on the van (word is, it's kaput), and Dan took a shuttle van back to Vegas Monday. He bought a van in Vegas and drove it back here Friday, then immediately left with has Dad for Sarah's (Dan's sister) graduation from med school in Salt Lake. It was kinda harsh to have not seen him in days and then have him just stop by and leave again. It has been nice hanging out with my family in St. George, but I think this is the first time Dan and I have ever spent more than two nights apart, and I find I'm really quite fond of having him around. I'm a whiner. I know some of you have husbands who have to go out of town for work a lot longer, but I do not envy you on that one.
Here's the Rant of the day...
Sorry to those who've already heard me go off on this, but it's on my mind since I just had to buy a new vehicle. Why are we still driving automobiles? In many of the ways the science fiction of the past has predicted the future, we have actually exceeded expectations. Check out the huge mono-voice computers on the old Star Trek shows. We have certainly surpassed those. But look at transportation. I don't expect "Beam me up, Scotty" or anything, but I truly believe we should be beyond the automobile by now and that the huge oil and auto industries have prevented progress, which stinks for the environment, which stinks for the preservation of human life. Anyway, Doc Brown, where we're going, we still need wheels.



Today's Review: A wonderful little film that Dan, the children, and I love---Jim Henson's The Frog Prince




8 comments:

Taylor Made said...

Hey Angie, we miss you! It is a little bit surreal to be ripped out your dialy life for that long. I love your blog and can't wait to see you, hopefully, at book club.

Megan said...

What a bummer about your van...and it doesn't sound fun to be stranded for a whole week! Even if it is at your parents. With three kids away from their normal beds...tough stuff. I hope life returns to normal soon!

Perry Family said...

I really feel for you...I know how it is to not be at your own house, and then to not have your hubby around...that STINKS! I'm not sure if getting a new car out of the whole deal was worth it??? I hope so:) And I agree...we should be past cars by now...onto some kind of flying contraption!

Chrissy said...

That stinks about your car!! We have missed you though! I love reading your blog, you always get me laughing!!

Elizabeth Dover said...

Wow, I had no idea that was going on. Dan mentioned in a blog you were out of town. I didn't know that was why.I just got back from Lizzy's Graduation on Thursday, I passed through St. George if you were still there I could have grabbed you and brought you home. But that might have been after all that happened.

The Fleming Family said...

Hey, sorry about your van! That is horrible...but nice that you could get a new one. (Its always nicer to plan for something like that though.) I feel for you with your husband gone. We are kind of the same way. He doesnt leave very often, but I get in a weird funk without him. It is really hard for me. I am sure it is hard on everyone else too.
As for the cars I totally agree...but good news is that they are almost done with the air highway. The "sky car" is being made and there will be an air highway that everyone will go 300 mph and it will all be controlled so there will be no accidents. If you go to http://www.moller.com/ you can check it out. I am excited for the future! If you have questions ask me...I went to a seminar by the guy that designed and made the sky car.
-Danielle

Christene said...

I thought you were gone for a prolonged period of time there Angie! What a complete bummer to have your van die like that! What's the deal? I agree with the missing of husbands. I know there are those who go without their spouse for days on end, but I am a complete snob about a few weekends here and there or long days at work that flow into one another. I just like having him around. Glad you're home!!

Relle said...

Speaking of better modes of transportation which are already possible, this week Dad and I got to travel on the McKinley Explorer from Fairbanks to Anchorage (with a two-night stopover to see Denali Park.) Talk about luxury! We hardly noticed the hours passing (four to Denali, eight to Anchorage)--Lots of foot room, panorama-view tinted windows, soft drinks etc. served to us at our seats, a dining car downstairs (expensive, but fun) and bathrooms bigger than airplane ones.
Now that's the way to travel!